13 August 2007

Lefties ! The Day Has Come

I didn’t realise that today is International Left Handers Day. I suppose the not-wife and my sister should be out and proud and giving displays of manual sinisterity in the operation of scissors and corkscrews. I am mixed up on the issue myself: I started out writing with my right hand, then I fractured my wrist when I was eight and I started to use my left hand . I still use both hands to write but, sadly, my writing is an illegible scrawl whichever hand I use. Most other functions are performed with the left hand.

Interestingly left -handers are on the increase: in 1910 it was thought there that left-handers made up only about 3% of the population; now the figure is about 13%. Also, the days of stigma are over – teachers don’t force children to write with their right hands anymore (I hope they don’t) - but getting hold of some left handed items can be difficult. Oh Ned Flanders come to Romford and bring your Leftorium with you!

9 comments:

Agnes said...

So am I, mixed. I was born a leftie and (to out it gently) forced to use my "good" hand. It was a horroristic experience, and I still use my left sometimes. (Drawing, educating the cat etc)

I don;t think the number of lefties is increasing, I think we are tolerated now, that's all. Longer ago
parents were told that using the left hand affects the heart. (And they smoked like hell)

Agnes said...

out=put, damn

jams o donnell said...

It really is a way to screw people up forcing lafties to use the right hand. it surprised me that the number of lefties is on the up.

Steve Bates said...

Like many keyboard instrument players, I'm ambi; may I join the celebration anyway? :)

jams o donnell said...

I suppose we are associate lefties Steve!

Elizabeth-W said...

I'm a leftie, as is my older daughter. I use being left-handed as an excuse for all sorts of things I can't do well, or at all--sewing, knitting, crocheting, driving, writing, walking a straight line, etc. :) I really need to get this on my calendar for next year! Throw a big bash for ourselves.
My cousin who is about 8 years younger than I was given the old hand-switcheroo, and he's a nut job. I think there may be some connection.

jams o donnell said...

I wonder if it did have an effect on him Elizabeth. It really can screw people up doing that.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Alright, I encouraged my very artistic 11 year old daughter to only use her right hand when she was younger because she favored the left. I wasn't mean or militaristic about it or anything. Well, not like I've been with her thumb sucking habit she STILL has after 11 years.

jams o donnell said...

Thumb sucking at 11 years old? That's dedication!