02 August 2007

First word, three syllables: first syllable is...

It would appear that Orang-utans would be hits at parlour games, well charades anyway. A study indicates that their communication resembles that game.

Researchers from St Andrews University have shown that Orang-utans intentionally modify or repeat their signals to get their messages across. The study involved six orang-utans living in two zoos. Richard Byrne, and an author of the study, said: “When we communicate, we routinely use our knowledge of what our audience knows. We wanted to find out whether the great apes do the same thing."

Researchers set up a situation where six captive orang-utans were presented with a keeper who had treats, such as bananas, and blander food, such as leeks or celery. The animals gestured to attract the keeper's attention so the tasty treat would be passed to them. Once the orang-utans had done this, the keepers did one of three things: they either handed them the treat, handed them the bland food or handed them half the treat. The scientists then recorded their reactions.

"When the keeper gave the orangutan the really nice food, that was the end of it," explained Professor Byrne. "But when the keeper pretended to fail to understand the original gesture and gave the wrong food, the orangutans stopped using the gestures they had used before and started using some different gestures. When the keeper half understood and gave the orangutan part of the treat, they started to repeat the same gestures that they had used, but they would repeat them even more enthusiastically."

Given that orangutans are the most distantly related great ape to humans, the scientists believe that all great apes would prove to have this skill. More evidence that we are just shaved apes?

In my case a bit less shaved than others...

6 comments:

Elizabeth-W said...

Fascinating! I wish I could give you sign language for Neato!! :D
ps-sorry to hear about mimi :(

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I know how to grunt and gesture wildly for treats too. How come nobody came to record me for a scientific publication?

jams o donnell said...

It is fascinating stuff isn't it Elizabeth. Thankfully Mimi is getting better

Aw ewbl, I bet you could have had fun with teh scientists!

Steve Bates said...

ewbl, I did come, but you were otherwise occupied... :)

jams, as my avatar indicates (though it is probably 15 years old), I fail to shave at least part of my face. I'll probably be bearded 'til I die.

Anonymous said...

I thought they could all sing like Louis Prima.

Seriously, I once met a man who had worked with Orang Utans in a UK zoo. He told me some amazing stories about the apes' abilities to communicate... and even negotiate to get what they want.

jams o donnell said...

I'm very hit and miss about shaving Steve I often have a beard, but then it goes. For me I have anough grey heairs on my bacjk to lead a (insert correct collective noun) of gorillas!

The jungle vips, eh Roger? I am nost surprised they can communicate in such a way when you cionsider apes like Washoe and Koko, and teh Bonobo that displayed abstract though (name escapes me)