31 March 2007

So long as I've got my chocolate Jesus....

An exhibition by artist Cosimo Cavallaro has been cancelled after a campaign was launched against it on the ground that it was disrespectful towards Christianity.

My Sweet Lord, a 6ft representation of Jesus, was to have been unveiled over holy week in a gallery in Manhattan but was withdrawn after complaints by the Catholic League. The group objected to the fact that the sculpture is made of more than 200lbs of chocolate and that the figure's genitalia are on display.

Sculptor Cosimo Cavallaro, 45, is known for his large-scale installations. In 1999 he covered a room of the Washington Jefferson hotel in New York with cheddar cheese. Two years later he sprayed 10,000lb of cheese over the entire interior of a house in Wyoming. Matt Semmler, director of the Lab, told the Guardian before the cancellation was announced that neither he nor the artist had any intention to offend. "For me this is done a place of reverence and meditation - that's why I chose the piece. This is not intended to be disrespectful." He added that over the centuries there had been thousands of depictions of Christ in many different styles.

Personally I'm not offended by a naked, chocolate Jesus but then I'm not religious. At least it should be a little more permanent that a house sprayed with over 4 tons of cheese or a bed with 312lbs of ham on it. I suppose these installations show just how fickle the art scene is - what is hailed as a masterpiece one day will stink the next...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A chocolate Jesus would undoubtedly smell better than a house sprayed with cheese!

I suppose it's a comment on the fact that, for most westerners, Easter has become synonymous with the over-consumption of chocolate.

It reminds me a little of that story about the crucified Santa Claus in a Japanese department store

jams o donnell said...

I can well believe that Roger! Easter is another commercial event - not that I'm averse to an easter egg myself!

rozolution said...

Speaking as a Christian: Jesus was a "rad" of the first order. He was also sweet, too sweet.. that's why we crucified him. This piece is right to the point. Speaking as an artist: I would think it would be very difficult to sculpt Jesus from a hunk of chocolate. From what I can see of it online, this looks pretty amazing.

Roz Dimon

jams o donnell said...

I dont think I would like his other food installations at all but teh chocolate Jesus did not seem blasphemous to me... one made out of dog turds and showing him engaged in congress with St Peter would have been blasphemous