24 November 2006

Lewis Hamilton to become the first black Formula 1 driver


According to today’s Times Lewis Hamilton is set to become the first black Formula 1 driver when he races for the Mclaren Mercedes team at next year’s Melbourne Grand Prix.

Lewis Hamilton, 21, is the current GP2 champion and is considered to be one of the most talented drivers of his generation. Ron Dennis, the McLaren Mercedes team principal, confirmed Hamilton’s selection alongside the world champion, Fernando Alonso. His inclusion is at the expense of Pedro de la Rosa who returns to test driver duties.

Although I am not particularly interested in Formula 1 racing (or any motor racing, much to the chagrin of the not wife’s brother who is quite a successful ) I wish Lewis every success. It is obvious that he is an enormously talented driver and he could very well be a future world champion.

I do, however, look forward to the day when skin colour does not make a story newsworthy.


8 comments:

Pete said...

But Jams

He ain't black. He's brown like me - and I'm that way cos I'm one sixteenth Spanish. Or maybe Mum or Grannie didn't tell me the whole story...?

Pete
(having identity crisis :(

jams o donnell said...

but he has been defined as black, the same as Tuger Woods, Petes. I like Tuger's self description - a Cablinasian (Caucasian, Black Indian Asian). On the other hand what is blac and what isn't? Do we use ols southern states definition that one ancestor made you so. I don't know

I really wish that it wasn't an issue at all Beakerkin. I dont follow horse racing but I cant think of a single black jockye here. I am happy to be advisedm otherwise

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Tell us more about not wifes brother. Does he have a gallery of shiny trophies?

As for the race thing, how often do you find yourself inadvertently edging a racial description into a conversation? I do, and I don't consider myself racist. I often wonder if black people say, "Some of my best friends are WHITE", like how white people always feel compelled to state that, "Some of their best friends are BLACK?"

jams o donnell said...

He is quite successful and does indeed have a lot of trophies. The need to work means that he would not do it full time. On the other hand he has his own car repair business which is great for us as labour is free and car parts are at cost. Also he is great at sourcing good quality old cars for us for a song!

I prefer some of my best friends are human approach. Some of my best friends are is usually used to hide some form of bigotry I reckon. Like when people say I'm not racist but...

jams o donnell said...

The not wife and myself have a line of banter that would be considered obscene by virtually everyone. WE can go toe to toe and hurl insukts at each other for ages.. and all in fun. The loser is the one who repeats an insult. Needless to say we wouldn't ever do that outside the house!

As for you and Papi, I am sure he can have fun at your expense when you do the gardening!

jams o donnell said...

People actually go there. The last time I was there it was dead? When it was a yahoo user room it could be quite vibrant. when the user rooms shut down and pocho took it over to irc very few regulars wanted to touch the new place with a bargepole.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

You know that Papi likes to brag to people that he's a Mexican man with a white lawn maintenance worker, right?

It lost its funniness somewhere while I was mowing the lawn on a 95 degree summer day. :(

jams o donnell said...

LOL ewbl I can imagine!